Caring for your wig is simple if done regularly and properly. No matter if your wig is “cheap” or more expensive, you can extend it’s life using these easy care instructions.
How to Brush Your Wig
Using a wide-tooth comb or brush, comb from the tips of hair to the cap. Do not yank knots from top to bottom! You will lose hairs this way.
Work in small sections to remove knots and tangles. If it’s matted underneath, turn the cap inside out and comb from back to front. To make the job easier, hang wig on a wig stand, stair newel post or other object so both of your hands are free.
How to Wash Your Wig
You should wash your wig after 8-10 wearings or if you have been sweating while wearing your wig.
- Add shampoo to a basin of COLD water to create a lather.
- Soak wig in shampoo water for 5-10 minutes, stirring gently. DO NOT twist or tangle your wig.
- After soaking, remove wig from basin, squeezing from top to bottom to remove excess water. DO NOT twist or wring out water, just squeeze.
- Rinse thoroughly under running water until all shampoo is removed. Squeeze water out, roll in a towel and squeeze again.
- Spray with conditioner (about 9-15 pumps depending on length of wig) This softens hair and reduces static.
- Shake the wig vigorously to disperse conditioner and remove any excess water.
- Lay flat on a towel to dry.
- Comb and re-style after wig is completely dry.
How to Re-Style Your Wig
After washing, any curls or waves that were in your wig should bounce back. Wind small clumps of hair around your fingers to encourage curls back into place when hair is still a little damp. You may want to try a styling tool, such as a curling iron or straightener, but test a small piece of hair first for heat resistance. If you have any loose hairs in your hair brush from brushing, use those for your test.
How to Store Your Wig
Between wearings, there are a couple ways you can store your wig to keep it clean, static free and in good shape. If your wig is short, turn it inside out and place into a zip-closure bag or box. If your wig is long, stuff the cap with tissue paper, wrap a hairnet around the outside and place in a zip-closure bag or box. You may also wish to display your wig on a wig display stand or mannequin head if you wear it often.